Hello everyone - FINALLY!!! I have used the excuse that we don't have a computer long enough, so I am up in the middle of the night on Kevin's laptop trying to update this blog. I apologize to everyone that has been asking about it and I have probably lost a lot of friends (or interest), but anyway, I am going to try to catch up this blog and add pictures of this beautiful paradise!
We got here around August 18, 2009. We are living in a 3 bedroom/1 bathroom teeny-tiny house. It is kind of like a "duplex". Our walls are cement block so we hear nothing from next door. I think a single guy lives there. I have been "nesting" getting things on the walls and all arranged here. I think it looks pretty homey for Kwaj! Now, I am working on the front porch. I have been scavenging wood from garbage piles and the dump! I have made a little bench to put plants on for the porch and also a wood planter box. I tried cutting "tin" w/ tin snips and I made 3 large flowers for my planter box. They are pretty cute but it is just too hard to cut metal, so I am done with that experiment! But, you know me, ALWAYS A PROJECT!!! I need to start working on Christmas soon! They say in November there is a big craft fair here, so I am trying to figure out something to make to enter. They say the Island across from us DOES have a fabric store, so I will try to find it on Monday. Anyway...
INFO: This Island is in the Marshall Islands. There are about 65 Islands I'm told. We are on Kwajalein. You can actually "google earth" this Island and see our roads, houses, etc. It is really interesting. There are 1500 people on this Island. Most are contractors working for KRS (Kwajalein Range Services). That is Kevin's employer. There are only about 9 Military people. This Island we rent from the Marshall Islands. It is a satellite tracking base. We launch around one missle a month. It is pretty high security and no one can just visit here. You must be "sponsored" by someone. So, if you want to visit us, PLEASE DO! Just let us know and we'll start the paperwork!
The kids are enjoying school. There are on average 10 kids in each classroom. They expect a lot from the students here and there is a lot of homework. Austin is on the swim team and Ashlee is on the soccer team. They have made a lot of friends and are always busy. A couple more families moved here (LDS) and they seem to have girls my kids' ages, so Austin only has one boy that is 16 that is LDS that he hangs out with. Most of them are Marshallese kids that he goes fishing with. He has stocked our freezer with fresh fish he caught! (Spear fishing and off of a boat).
They have many activities here. We joined the running club and they have runs about every two weeks. The next big one is the Columbus Day run. We are doing a 1/2 marathon. Last month was the Biathalon. Swiming and running. Kevin and I did it. There is a 24 hour gym, adult pool, kid pool, teen center, adult rec. center, 2 movie theaters (outdoor-if it looks like rain, bring an umbrella!), tennis courts, racketball courts, 1 cafeteria, 1 grocery store, and 4 fast food places; Burger King, Subway, Anthony's Pizza, and Baskin Robbins. They are all next to each other in a food court building. The beaches are unbelievably beautiful! Pure blue/green water and 85 degrees! No chill getting in, so I am in the Ocean all the time - YEP - NO one we have gone to the beach with will believe that one! I NEVER get in the Ocean in Oceanside, cause it is too cold, but not here! It's awesome! I joined the Kayak club and we paddle twice a week. Who asked me if I thought I'd be bored? I forgot!
This place is truely paradise. Kevin and I always say, the ONLY thing missing is friends and family. We wish you all were our neighbors here. Then it would be perfect! We are living in a VERY safe environment. We never lock our doors or bikes. The kids go everywhere and are safe. Because we have no cars, we can bike anywhere in 5 minutes! So, tonight I went snorkeling, then to the pool and did laps, home and made dinner by 6:00! I feel like everything is at my fingertips. No driving everyone everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!
Kevin is teaching Sunday School and guess what? Yep, I'm in Young Women! Poor Ashlee, she just can't get away from me. We also are teaching Seminary for 9 weeks this year! All the parents are taking turns. The kids like it at night, so we start at 8:30 p.m.
Our computer was broken coming over here, so until we replace it, I go to the Library to do my internet stuff. We have dial up and it is so slowwwwwwwwww! I hate it. But, I am learning patience. We are thinking of getting an Apple! More picture friendly I hear!
We are trying to get Mandy/Van & Nyah here for Christmas Holidays. Van is working on getting a medical rotation on the Island 20 min. away from here (Ebeye). That would be for a month, so that is exciting!!!! Then next year, we'll have Colt & Kristin here for Christmas! It is so expensive, but I miss my married kids! And I can't even tell you how much I miss that baby. Nyah just melts my heart and I can't even talk about her without crying!
If any one ever wants to call us, you can call for free from your cell phones. They gave us a California area code. So we are 19 hours ahead of Arizona so if you call after noon AZ time, we will be up and ready to talk! So, our number is: 805-355-2364. I guess I'll post our address too.
Kevin & Kathy Skinner
CMR #701 P.O. Box 667
APO, AP 96555-0007
Well, I am going to try to put some pictures on. I forgot how to do this. Someone said facebook was easier, so I may switch to that, but I'll try to remember how to do this.
Thanks for being patient with me! We miss you all!
Kathy
Kathy,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. It makes me feel like your not so far away.Ours is jensonfam.blogspot.com if you want to see pictures of us. Keep in touch. Miss you guys. Happy belate b-day Kevin!!!
Carolyn
I found your blog!! It's good to hear from you.
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure. I love your songs. They all have deep content for your situation, thats a fact. Hang in there Sariah. I think your awesome!
L
~M